MATCH REPORT: I.T.S. Round 5 | Keilor Park Cricket Club


Round 5 – St. Albans

On the back of a gutsy win against Craigieburn, we took on the undefeated St. Albans side who were looking to stamp their name as the competition front runners in the early part of the season.  With 3 separate centurions in their first 3 matches, we knew they would have strong batting depth and we would have to play 160 overs of good cricket if we were to give ourselves a chance.

Walking out to the toss, it was going to be a “doomed if you do, doomed if you don’t” kind of scenario.  Having the coin landing the right side up for us, I decided that runs on the board would be the order of the day, and backed our batting line up to set them a task.

With Ethan McShanag suffering from a migrane, it presented Anthony Tedesco with the opportunity to partner Andy Davies at the top of the order.  “AT” took it upon himself to get the wheels in motion, and while being ably supported by Andy, made a nice little knock of 27 contributing to an opening partnership of 48.  Hywel Jones followed, and continued on his big hitting from the previous Tuesday Night’s T20 match and raced to 28 before finding himself back in the sheds.  Andy all the while, anchoring the innings, making a solid 20 in difficult conditions, and giving the side a nice little platform.

A few flat spots through the middle of the innings, and when Ethan McShanag, batting at 6, got to the crease the score was little over 100.  However, he set about taking  to the St. Albans bowlers, and with some deadly striking and well executed strokes, he managed to notch up his second 80+ score in as many games (82*).  He was well assisted by the tail, with Matt Carland and him sharing a vital 35 run partnership for the 9th wicket. (Of which “Forbesy” contributed 4)

With 201 on the board, we once again failed to take the innings as deep as we would have liked, and with an imminent storm, we took to the field and ended the day with St. Albans at 1/23 off 4 overs.

Early breakthroughs.  That was the simple message we resumed play with the following week.  And it was Hywel Jones who delivered.  Picking up the crucial wicket of their imported opener, Lambert.  Through some solid batting, and some missed opportunities in the field, the game hung in the balance with the visitors requiring 52 runs to win at Tea, and KPCC still requiring 5 wickets.

After the break, it was Jesse Ravanello who picked up the wicket, and his 3rd, to steer the momentum ship back our way, ever so slightly.  Still with a recognised batsman in, and closing in on the target, the ball was thrown to Ethan McShanag to produce some of his magic.  And he did.  With a delivery that has been described by onlookers as “horrible” “putrid” and “yucky”, the man himself described it as a “stroke of genius”.  Either way, the situation was simple.  Clean up the tail, and take the chocolates.

With no recognised batsman left, and no threat of being hit out of the park, I did what any self respecting captain would do.  I brought myself back into the attack.  Luckily for the side, my reputation and my ego, the results followed. picking up 2 wickets in the over, and having them 9 down with 25 still to get, Jesse Rav took the pill in the next over and finished off a memorable victory.

This weekend, we have a double header (weather permitting), as we head to Laverton to being the 2 day match against them on Saturday, and host West Coburg on Sunday in the catch up match for our Round 1 fixture.

Hoping to see you all there, supporting this exciting crop of talent.


Joe Dirt.


Round 5 – St. Albans


The seconds made there way down to St. Albans.

I won the toss and put them put St. Albans in to bat.

It proved to be a good decision with the fall of the first wicket on the board with the score at 18. Some steady line length bowling from AB and tight bowling from the other end from Morgs proved to be the difference, taking regular wickets. 4 bowlers were used with AB and Dylan doing the damage. AB finished the day bowling 11 straight overs taking 3 /10 while Dylan provided that extra fire power bowling 9.3 overs taking 4/12.

Both boys were backed up nicely by Pete who bowled 11 overs 1/22 and Morgs doing what he does taking 2/42  off 13.

The fielding was really stepped up to support the tight bowling, we ended up bowling St. Albans out for a very gettable 88.

We had 32 overs to play for day and unfortunately that’s were the rain and hit. The loss of both openers and Andy who got elevated up the order for some hitting didn’t pay off and we closed the day 3/10.

Enter the second week, the numbers for once were on our side simple maths 7 batsman left 78 runs to get 80 overs to do it.

We knew we had to keep working and try to get some partnerships happening.

Unfortunately that didn’t happen, we were all out falling 4 runs short of victory.

Special mention to Pete who finished the day with 14 not out and Nath Johnson who battled it out to get within 4 runs of victory.

Moving forward it was a gut wrenching loss and something that hurt all 11 blokes especially myself but on the positive , we look to next week, the growth and improvement keeps going, we will keep working keep fighting, keep working towards our goal of playing 80 overs of cricket,and doing the job with both bat and ball, not just excelling in one of them.

This week is a new week where we find ourselves up against the old enemy Laverton!!

Stay tuned.




No Game


Start a Conversation

Your email address will not be published.